Revised and expanded to reflect the most recent innovations in the field, The Scientific Examination of Documents: Methods and Techniques 4th edition (PDF) is an accessible and handy volume detailing current best-practices for forensic document examination.
Since the 1st edition published in 1989, there have been many drastic changes in the field of forensic document examination―both from the use of the analytic techniques available to the professional examiner―and the changes to technology in printing inks and office equipment. The purpose of analyzing any material used in the production of a questioned document, such a piece of paper or an ink, is to compare it with another material elsewhere in the questioned document itself―or on another document―to determine whether or not they share a common origin. There may also be a need to provide information for the investigator about the possible origins of the document.
- Scientific Examination of Documents 4th edition is one of the most recommended ebooks in its genre.
This latest 4th edition reflects the myriad advances and changes that have occurred in the last 13 to 15 years. Topics covered include: current thinking on handwriting interpretation; the proper collection of samples; accidental and deliberate modification of handwriting; professional accreditation standards, qualifications, and training; a discussion of shredded documents; and modern digital imaging and analysis of documents and handwriting utilizing software and imaging, including reconstruction of an image from erasures, obliteration and other document altering methods. A new section addresses cognitive bias and Chapter 8 is completely updated to cover the advances in print and photocopied documents, based on current technology, and analytical developments in the comparison of such documents.
- Details and reinforces the importance of ensuring proper scientific methods during an examination
- Addresses current Raman spectroscopy, UV-VIS, mass spectroscopy, and SEM analysis techniques
- Discusses issues regarding photocopied, handwritten, and printed documents―including digital vs inkjet printing
- Presents the advances and capabilities modern office fax, photocopy, and printing technologies―and implications for document examination
- Highlights the implications and importance of biological and fingerprint evidence from documents that can be examined, collected, and used in a case
The Scientific Examination of Documents 4th Edition serves as an invaluable resource to established professionals, those just entering the field, and legal and investigative professionals outside the discipline who have a professional interest dealing with questioned documents in the course of their work.