An accessible and clear volume spanning the entire theory course, HARMONY AND VOICE LEADING, 4th Edition (PDF), begins with coverage of basic concepts of harmony and theory and moves into coverage of advanced dissonance and chromaticism. It emphasizes the linear aspects of music as much as the harmonic, and introduces large-scale progressions — harmonic and linear — at an early stage. The 4th edition now includes a chapter introducing species counterpoint and integrates that material into the rest of the textbook. A new Premium Website for students will provide interactive, guided exercises for new material covered in every unit and musical examples from the literature in both streaming and downloadable format. The Instructor Companion Site will include Guidelines for Instructors, a new instructor’s manual written by Allen Cadwallader.
About This Edition
- Workbooks and CD sets will be available in print or on a password-protected site.
- The textbook and musical examples have been thoroughly revised for increased clarity and accessibility.
- A new chapter introduces species counterpoint, and the textbook integrates this material into subsequent units.
- A new instructor’s companion site will include “Guidelines for Instructors,” an instructor’s manual written by Allen Cadwallader.
- Clearer visual presentation, increased clarity and consistency of terminology and symbols, and more guidance in the exercises increase the text’s effectiveness.
- A new, password-protected premium web site for students includes interactive, guided exercises for material covered in the text and musical examples from the literature in both streaming and downloadable format.
- Important points are summarized in boxes as needed throughout each unit to help students check the progress of their learning.
- “Points for Review” at the end of each unit (before the exercises) offer brief, consecutively numbered summations of the key concepts covered in that unit.
- Exercises included at the end of each unit have students undertake such creative assignments as writing short progressions of various types and harmonizing melodies with unfigured/figured bass lines.
- Each unit includes 10 to 40 musical examples–brief excerpts that illustrate the specific harmonic and voice-leading techniques discussed at that point. The musical examples are drawn primarily from masterpieces of concert repertoire, but a few abstract pieces composed by the authors are also included.
P.S The instructor resources for this ebook are available for sale separately. Contact for more info.
NOTE: This purchase only includes the Harmony and Voice Leading 4e PDF eBook. No online codes, web access or CD is included in this purchase.