An essential addition to modern scholarship on Plautine and Plautus funny supplies brand-new essays and fresh insights from leading scholars. A Companion to Plautus (PDF) is a collection of initial essays on the well known Old Latin duration playwright. A fantastic comic poet, Plautus moved beyond composing Latin variations of Greek plays to develop a uniquely Roman cultural experience worthwhile of modern scholarship. Contributions by a group of global scholars check out the theatrical background of Roman funny, the theory and practice of Plautus’ remarkable structure, the relation of Plautus’ works to Roman social history, and his impact on later dramatists through the centuries.
Responding to restored modern-day interest in Plautine research studies, the Companion reassesses Plautus’ works—plays that are indicated to be seen and experienced—to expose brand-new significance and modern significance. Chapters arranged thematically use several point of views on specific plays and allow readers to get a much deeper understanding of Plautus’ reflection of, and impact on Roman society. Topics consist of metatheatre and improvisation in Plautus, the textual custom of Plautus, patterns in Plautus Translation, and modern-day reception in theater and films. Exploring the location of Plautus and Plautine funny in the Western comic custom, the Companion:
- Addresses the most current patterns in the research study of Roman funny
- Discusses Plautus’ operate in relation to Roman stars, audience, phases, and culture
- Highlights current scholarship on the representation of socially susceptible characters
- Examines the characterization, plot building, and comic strategies in Plautus’ scripts
- Features conversations on faith, slavery, war, imperialism, gender, class, and sexuality in Plautus’ work
Part of the well-known Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World series, the ebook A Companion to Plautus is an essential resource for trainers, scholars, and trainees of both ancient and modern-day drama, classics, relative literature, and history, especially Roman history.
NOTE: This sale just consists of the ebook A Companion to Plautus in PDF. No other resources included the item.