Finest Audiobook Production Tips From Professionals May 21, 2018 – Posted in: Inspiration, Thoughts – Tags: audiobook tips, best audiobook recording tips, how to record an audiobook, recording tips
The Audiobook concept
Audiobooks have shown to be a wonderful development for authors, producers, and narrators. Readers choose listening to the author narrating his book. Here are some points for an author to be considered while recording his audiobook.
- Make sure you tape-record the highest quality audio
There are various technical requirements to be followed while taping an audiobook of the very best quality. The very best quality of audio can be recorded at a location without unwanted noises that may ruin the quality of the audio. Your recording can be done at your house however ensure there isn’t any sound that weakens the quality of your audio, and this noise may cause wastage of your time as you would have to re-record your audio to obtain rid of the sound.
Your audio recorder is vital in producing premium audio. There are lots of microphones out there, and you can undoubtedly discover one which is in your budget. For recording audiobooks, I recommend using USB microphones. If you do not want to check out a lot, you can buy the Blue Snowball, which tapes high quality audio and is extremely economical.
2. Prepare yourself for taping
Recording audio is not a simple task. You have to put all your expressions and feelings into your words. The way you convey your words lets your reader get linked to you. So you need to have plenty of energy to express your thoughts.
Here are some of the points to be taken care of while preparing yourself for recording:
- Set up sessions a few days apart If you are an introvert and new to this recording world, then make sure that your voice doesn’t tremble while speaking and the words and the emotion behind it should be clear. You must speak yourself out with a great deal of energy so that the reader must feel linked to you. Every recording session takes a minimum of 2 hours so you need to schedule your recording hours when you have enough energy.
- Attempt to avoid dairy prior to tape-recording tries not to have the things that can clog your throat and blocks your speaking. To have an ideal audio, your throat must be clean, and in case you are ill or can not speak effectively, it’s better to obtain recovered and then continue with your work. It is advised because the recording software requires your voice to be of same strength and quality.
- If you’re tape-recording around mealtimes, make certain you take a snack with you. Attempt not to schedule your recording sessions around your mealtimes. But in case it happens, has some snacks with you because whining stomach can sidetrack your mind and can even lower your energy while speaking.
- Modulation of your breath is a must while taping. Holding your breath for a longer period, while reading longer chapters, can even reduce your endurance. So you can have some recording classes from the professionals to have a reliable recording.
- While recording, do not read from the pages rather check out from a tablet or any electronic gadget since while reading from pages, the sound of turning the pages can accumulate an unwanted result on your recording. Also, turn your phone or other gadgets to plane mode and turn off any Wi-Fi connection as this can likewise build up a noise that may not be noticeable while tape-recording.
- When you begin taping, there may come some circumstances where you require you customize your writing and to record it again. So, it’s advised taping those books or files that may remain static for a longer duration. For instance, if you are taping any technical stuff, then you would have to update it annually, and if you have to update a smaller sized section then the quality of your voice need to match to the previous areas’ quality, else you will need to tape-record it once again. So, updating is not an easy job.
- Each ACX file has to be a single chapter of the book, as this can lower the loading times as well as while beginning a new chapter with a new file you can re-energize yourself. Opening and closing credits are obligatory, and text to it is provided in the ACX notes.
3. Learn some editing skills to keep the expense down
As soon as the recording is finished, then you are entrusted to editing. A horrible modifying garnishes your recording to a greater extent. If you pay any producer to modify your recording, then this can increase the quality of your work at the cost of decreased revenue. You don’t have to download a paid software to do your editing, you can utilize Audacity, a free software to modify your files. So, if you want to edit your recording on your own, here are some suggestions to be followed:
If you make a mistake when tape-recording, clap your hands. This produces spikes in the audio files and might be used to find the mistakes later on. If there takes place a great deal of errors, then for smoother reading return to the start and read it once again. Continuous reading for longer hours, can make you feel worn out and this can increase the number of your mistakes, so, take a break from reading for a while.
Free modifying software application such as Audacity or others that work with your computer system can be utilized. Cross Fade function is utilized for cutting the files. Amadeus Pro, an editing software on Mac, has a center of auto-fade with Smart Fade function. Try to utilize ergonomic keyboards and mouse, as regular working can cause wrist pains and other concerns.
The ACX has its technical requirements, one of which is to add a few seconds of Room Tone to show the beginning and end of the file. To make the procedure simple and quick, you can tape-record these room tones separately and can simply add it utilizing pre-cut tool to leading and tail each file.
Top quality audio files are very large. So, for sending out these files once again and once again, E-mails can not be useful. Therefore, to send your edited files, you can use Google Drive or DropBox. This is done so due to the fact that larger files get onto the memory of your computer quicker. For that reason, for sending your files to Virtual Assistant( VA) and later to the manufacturer, you can use Google Drive or DropBox.
These were a few of the suggestions that might come useful next time you wish to tape-record an audiobook, or if you want to tape your very first audiobook.